Frosted Pumpkin Bars

Saturday, November 7, 2009

I was searching online for a healthier recipe for pumpkin bars than the one I had that contained 4 eggs and a full cup of oil. I found one that was better, then edited it even further to take out more fat and calories. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with all my substitutions, and was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome! So moist and dense, I would not have believed it was so healthy if I hadn't baked it myself! You could make it even better by leaving off the frosting, but come on now, it's dessert.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan.
In mixing bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Add egg, flaxseed, pumkin and applesauce; mix well.
Transfer batter to prepared pan, bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting or the recipe following

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz package cream cheese, softened (can use 1/3 less fat cream cheese if you would like)
1/4 c butter (or smart balance, if you want less fat)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
a dash of vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese and butter until soft and creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or a bit of milk to get the right consistency if needed.

0 comments: