Italian Tortellini Soup & No-Fuss Focaccia

Friday, December 4, 2009

This was a recipe that came from our recipe exchange about a year ago. I was excited to try it. I filed it away thinking I'd make it soon and somehow I lost it amongst all my recipes. Now that the cold weather is here, I started searching my recipes and found this lost treasure. I sprinkled Parmesean Cheese on top and viola!

Rather than use the old stand by of breadsticks, I thought I'd make some focaccia. I love this recipe. It is so easy!!! I love it dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar - mmm! It's really good if you use it to make Italian sandwhiches or paninis. Dinner was delicious tonight, even Josh ate all his dinner!

Italian Tortellini Soup

(Michelle Pohlhopek)


1 lb Italian Sausage browned

½ onion, chopped

1 cup V-8 Juice

2 14 oz can stewed tomatoes

1 cup chopped carrots

½ cup zucchini

½ tsp fresh garlic

5 cup beef broth

½ tsp basil

¼ tsp oregano

1-8oz bag tortellini


Brown sausage and onion. Add remaining ingredients, except tortellini. Simmer for 1 hour. Add tortellini last 20 minutes of simmer time.

***I also added zucchini with tortellini


No-Fuss Focaccia

1 1/2 cups warm water

3 tablespoons olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1 tablespoon instant yeast

Italian Seasoning or dried herbs of you choice, for topping


Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom. Combine all of the ingredients, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.


Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it's become puffy. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.


Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger. Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, and/or the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.


Bake the bread till it's golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.




0 comments: