Chicken with Pesto Mushroom Cream sauce...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011


We stopped in to Barnes and Noble (I have an addiction to this store and truth be told I don't really read. If I do read, I go to the library. So I'm not quite sure why I even go to Barnes and Noble). While we were oogling all the fun cook books, I came across this beauty. Every Saturday Ryan and I watch America's Test Kitchen. We are always mesmerized by their dishes. So it's no surprise that this is my new favorite cookbook (sorry Barefoot Contessa). We have tried 4-5 dishes, all of them have been winners. I will try to share more later, but in case I don't, you really should go buy this book!



Tonight's dinner was Chicken with Pesto Mushroom Cream sauce. I must admit, I didn't take this picture. In fact I didn't even type the recipe. Due to my laziness, I googled it. Luckily I came across the same recipe at What's Cookin, Chicago? So thank you to her for making it easier for me to share with you. In her recipe, she used Portobello mushrooms. I might try them next time for a nuttier deeper flavor. You should check out her blog, everything looks delicious!!

This dinner was so simple to make. It is a one skillet, thirty-minute meal. The sauce had a great flavor. I loved the hint of lemon. We served it over Thin Spaghetti (Whole Wheat of course).

Chicken with Pesto Mushroom Cream Sauce
ATK: The Best Simple Recipes


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup prepared basil pesto (homemade or store bought)
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Cooking chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.

Add remaining oil to skillet and cook mushrooms until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, add cream, broth and chicken to skillet, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil. Return skillet to high heat and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes, Off heat, stir in pesto and lemon juice and season with salt & pepper. Serve sauce on the side or over chicken.


0 comments: