Aebleskivers...

Sunday, April 3, 2011


Growing up, one of my favorite "special breakfasts" was Aebleskivers. They are Danish pancakes. They're kind of a cross between pancakes and popovers. This family tradition started with my Grandmother Humphries (she was very formal, so we had to call her Grandmother). She would make them for us for special occasions. My Grandmother and Grandpa Humphries

My mom carried on the tradition. I remember sitting in the kitchen anxiously awaiting to dip them in raspberry jam and powdered sugar. They were delicious! Shortly after I got married my mom gave me an Aebleskiver pan. Sadly, my pan sat untouched for quite a long time. A few years ago I made them for my uncle and aunt. Ah the memories it brought back. I don't make them as often as I like, but when I do I'm instantly carried away to my childhood. I hope to carry on the tradition of Aebleskivers for my family.

Aebleskivers require a special pan. Typically it is a cast iron pan with seven small wells. You can find them at most kitchen stores or online.

Aebleskivers

(Grandmother Humphries)

1 quart buttermilk

4 eggs, separated

1 TBSP sugar

1 TBSP salt

1 tsp baking soda

3 cups flour

2 TBSP butter, melted

Mix buttermilk and egg yolk. Beat well. Add sugar, salt, baking soda and flour. Mix until thin-cake batter.

Whip remaining egg whites until fluffy. Fold egg whites into batter.

Spray Aebleskiver pan with Pam or brush with melted butter. Poor batter in pan, filling well about 2/3 full. Cook over medium-low heat. Turn when golden brown. Be careful not to burn. Make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Serve with jam, jelly, powdered sugar or syrup.

***This makes a lot of batter. Half the recipe for a small family!

***I also fill with fruit. Put half batter in, fruit filling, then remaining batter.



Although this is not my family recipe, it's one of my favorites!

Blueberry Filled Aebleskivers

1 ¾ cup flour

¾ tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 ½ TBSP sugar

½ tsp salt

Zest of ½ lemon

3 egg yolks + 5 egg whites

1 1/3 cup buttermilk

¾ cup ricotta cheese

5 TBSP butter, melted

1 pint blueberries

In bowl, whisk: flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks. Whisk in buttermilk and ricotta. Whisk in flour mixture until well combined. (Mixture will be lumpy) In another bowl, whick egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into batter.

Put ½ tsp butter into wells of Aebleskiver pan. Place over medium heat. Pour 1 TBSP batter into well. Place four blueberries into center of batter. Top with 1 TBSP batter. Cook 3-5 minutes. Turn and cook about 3 more minutes. Dust with powdered sugar

2 comments:

Yadira said...

heidi, thanks for posting this recipe. I have tried them once before at a friends house. She made them for my group of High School friends and I thought they were delicious. I am going to try out this recipe and buy the special pan. I had forgotten the name of them but always rebemered how good they were.

Ann said...

These were a special breakfast at my house too! My dad went on his mission to Denmark. My mom gave us each a pan a few years ago, and I have to say that it doesn't get used as much as it should.