Granola

Thursday, January 22, 2009


This is one of my family's favorite breakfast foods. My little boy Ty doesn't like breakfast very much, but he can't get enough of this granola. I love this granola because it has tons of oatmeal and wheat flour as well as yummy stuff like sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and craisins. It also fills you up for quite a while. I love that for my kids because then they are not begging me for food an hour after breakfast! This is also a good way to use some of those things in your food storage cans.

Granola

6 cups oats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. *toasted sesame seeds (I use more.)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup flaked coconut (I omit this.)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup dates, raisins or craisins

Sauce:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. maple flavor (I usually just put in a squirt or two of maple syrup.)

Mix the first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until well coated and pour on two baking sheets. Bake at 250 for 30 minutes. Stir once while baking.

*To toast sesame seeds put them in a skillet on the stove with nothing on them. Watch them so they don't burn. They give the granola an awesome flavor!

1 comments:

Christy said...

I will attest to the yumminess of the granola. It is very good.