Tools of the trade...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009


I've decided that I'm going to start showing my favorite kitchen tools. This week's favorite is my Silpat Baking Mat. They are an absolute must have for any baker. They make cleanup a breeze, and my baking sheets still look brand new after eight years. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the price (about $20 each), but I was wrong. They are definitely worth it. I'm even tempted to go buy two more.
To put my silpats to work this week, we had to make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. I would have pictures of those, but they don't last long enough for me to find the camera! Our favorite Oatmeal Cookie is found on the lid of Quaker Oatmeal. To be honest, I bet we make only half of the cookies. We eat the other half raw. I love Oatmeal Cookie Dough! - gross I know, but it's true!
Quaker Oatmeal Cookies

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins or milk chocolate chips (optional)
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and, if desired, raisins/chocolate chips/nuts; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I have considered buying a silpat but I haven't done it yet. I have been wondering if they are really worth it. I might have to go buy one now.

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

We all have these in my family and love them! I just got my first one for Christmas along with some new cookie sheets. I won't be getting any of those for Christmas any more, so now Bryce will have to come up with a new idea!