It seems that all I make is sweets...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009


Yesterday we were craving something sweet (OK, I was, but I'm sure that Josh & Ryan wanted something sweet as well). If you could see my fridge or my panty, you would weep with me. It is bare! What was I going to do? I came across a recipe for Easy Fudge Brownies. Surprisingly, I had all of the ingredients. They actually turned out pretty good. I have to agree with Ry, they would taste even better with a scoop of Breyer's Natural Vanilla Ice Cream and hot fudge sauce.
And since all I've done lately is sweets, I'm throwing in the recipe that we had for dinner last night. Sorry no pics, my camera didn't make it to the dinner table!
Easy Fudge Brownies

½ cup butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup flour

Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, lightly beat the mixture until combined (don’t overbeat or brownies will rise too high then fall). Stir in flour. Spread in prepared pan. Bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

***I sprinkled chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts on top of batter before baking.
***I didn't have any unsweetened chocolate bars, so I did a quick substitution found on the Hershey's Cocoa Powder can. I used 6 TBSP cocoa powder and 2 TBSP oil.
Maple Mustard-Glazed Chicken
(Cuisine at Home Dec. 2008)

3 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP maple syrup
1 TBSP whole grain mustard
1 TBSP brown sugar
¼ tsp dried thyme
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350˚; line a baking sheet with foil.

Stir Dijon, maple syrup, whole grain mustard, brown sugar and thyme together in small bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper; place on baking sheet, then brush with mustard mixture. Roast 30 minutes, then baste with mustard mixture again. Return to oven and roast until chicken is done, 15-20 minutes longer.
Served with green beans and wild rice. Delicious!

1 comments:

Ann said...

Those recipes look GREAT! Thanks for putting them up. I haven't seemed to make anything spectacular lately that I can post.