Spicy Honey Chicken

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I got this recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, Our Best Bites. I love this recipe because it is so quick to prepare and my family likes it. My favorite way to have it is on a salad. The salad I always have with it is really easy. I usually just do lettuce, avocado and bacon. Cody isn't exactly excited about salads when I make them for a main dish so I always have to add bacon to make it more appealing to him.

Side note about bacon: I really dislike cooking bacon and smelling up my house so I usually buy the precooked bacon from Costco and then freeze it. However, if I don't have any precooked I usually bake all the bacon and then use what I want and freeze the rest. I like having frozen bacon because you can pull out a few slices to give something great flavor but you don't have to go to the effort to cook it.

At Our Best Bites they recommend using boneless skinless chicken thighs and grilling the chicken on a grill. I usually just do chicken tenders and either broil them or pan fry them. In the summer I might get back to grilling the chicken if the wasps will relinquish our grill. Enough chit-chat here is the recipe!

Spicy Honey Chicken

Rub:
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (sometimes I omit this because I don't like things too spicy)

Combine spices in a bowl and mix well. Put rub on chicken. Cook chicken using desired method (grill, broil, pan fry) until cooked through.

Glaze:
6 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cider vinegar

Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well until combined. Brush mixture on chicken (both sides) in the final moments of cooking. Let it cook for a few minutes to caramelize.

In order to make this a really fast recipe for me I make a bunch of rub and store it with my spices. Then when I want to cook it, the preparation is half done.

Last night when I made this meal, we got home a little after 6:00 p.m. and I had dinner on the table by 6:35 p.m. It really can be a fast meal!

0 comments: