Napoletana Pizza Dough

Tuesday, September 1, 2009




This recipe I found in the newspaper years ago and found it just a couple of months ago when I was cleaning out my recipe book cupboard. And its from "The Pie Pizzeria" its an excellent recipe for pizza.

5 cups (22 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons table salt or 3 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cool water (65 degrees)


With a large metal spoon, stir together all ingredients in a 4 quart bowl, or bowl of an electric stand mixer, until combined.

If mixing with an electric mixer, fit it with dough hook and mix on low speed about 4 minutes, or until all flour gathers to form a coarse ball. Let dough rest 5 minutes, then mix again on medium-low speed for an additional 2 minutes, or until dough clears sides of bowl and sticks just a little to bottom. If dough is too soft and sticky to hold its shape, mix in more flour by the tablespoonfuls; if it is too stiff or dry, mix in water by the tablespoonful.

The dough should pass the window pane test. (Snip off a piece of dough and gently tug and turn it, stretching it until it forms a paper-thin, translucent membrane somewhere near the center, if the dough does not form this membrane, or windowpane, it probably needs another minute or two of mixing.)

If mixing by hand, repeatedly dip one of your hands or spoon into room-temperature water and use it much like a dough hook, working the dough vigorously into a coarse ball as you rotate the bowl with your other hand. As all the flour is incorporated into the ball, about 4 minutes, the dough will begin to strengthen; when this occurs, let dough rest 5 minutes. Then resume mixing for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until dough is slightly sticky, soft and supple. If dough is too soft and sticky to hold its shape, mix in more flour by the tablespoonful; of it is too stiff or dry, mix in more water by the tablespoonful. The dough should pass the window pane test. (See description above.)

Transfer dough to a floured counter, dust top of dough with flour to absorb surface moisture. Working from four corners, fold dough into a ball. Place ball in a bowl that has been brushed with olive oil, turn dough to coat with oil, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, then put bowl in refrigerator overnight. (Or, if you are making the pizzas on the same day, let the dough sit at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours, punch down, reshape into a ball, return ball to bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.)

Two hours before you plan to make pizzas, remove dough from regrigerator. Dough will have expanded somewhat and gluten will be very relaxed. Using a plastic bowl scraper dipped in water, or using wet hands, gently transfer dough to a floured counter, trying to de-gas the dough as little as possible. Using a pastry blade that has been dipped in water, divide into six pieces. Gently round each piece into a ball and brush or rub each ball with olive oil.

Line a sheet pan with baking parchment or a nonstick silicone baking liner, and brush with olive oil. Place each dough ball on the pan and loosely cover the pan with either plastic wrap or a food-grade plastic bag. Allow the dough balls to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
NOTE: If you do not plan to use all the pieces, place extra dough balls in individual zippered freezer bags and refrigerate or freeze. Use the refrigerated balls within 2 days and the frozen balls within 3 month.

The first time I made this recipe we fell in love with it. Jorge told me "we are never to order delivery again". and I think we have done so, because I can count the time with one hand where we have bought pizza. This recipe is so convenient because it makes slot and I usually freeze what I will not use and so that means that whenever we want pizza I just thaw it and make it and it becomes an easy dinner. I make individual pizzas or make one big one for the whole family. I hope you enjoy it.

6 comments:

Ann said...

I am way excited to try it. I told Cody you had a good pizza dough recipe and he keeps asking me if I got it from you yet. We will be trying this within a week I am sure. Thanks!

Heidi said...

Thank you Yadira! I'm excited to make pizza!

Yadira said...

Hope you guys love it as much as we do. Have fun.

Jen said...

oh my goodness, I love The Pie Pizzeria, so thanks for giving us this recipe! I am so excited to try this and the tomato sauce, my family is going to love it!

Heidi said...

This week I'm planning on making this! What are the cooking directions (temp & time)? I'll call.

Yadira said...

Heidi, I use a pizza stone and I put my oven on the highest temp (450-500)to get the stone very hot and the approximate time to cook is about 10 minutes. But it all the depends in your oven. So try this out and it should work. But if not try to adjust it accordingly.