Mom's Lemon Bars

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Growing up, I don't remember my mom baking very much. But the memories I do have of her baking include her lemon bars. When I asked for the recipe, she quickly jotted it down all from memory. Not quite sure on her techinque of baking, I added a few notes on how I make the crust. Mmmm I love the flaky buttery crust! (Sorry the crust is a little overdone in the picture, my oven was on the fritz that day. Any one know how to calibrate an oven?)

Mom’s Lemon Bars

Crust:
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
½ cup powdered sugar

Mix well. Pat into 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350˚ for 25 minutes
***I use cold butter, cut into chunks. I put everything in my food processor and pulse until butter is cut -up, similar to pastry dough.

Filling:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup flour
½ cup lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest

Mix well. Pour onto baked crust. Bake at 350˚ for an additional 25 minutes . Remove from oven and cool. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Ann said...

My mom didn't bake many sweets either, but she always made lemon bars too. They always remind me of my childhood because my mom made them often.

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

these have always been a favorite of mine! hooray for great recipes!

Rhonda Shurtleff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.