Brattens Clam Chowder

Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's finally here - FALL! Fall is my favorite season, hands down. Cool crisp evenings, curling up with a blanket watching tv (I don't read), sweaters, and warm comfort food - ahh! it doesn't get any better. One of my comfort foods is creamy soups. Although I'm not a big fan of clams, I love clam chowder. Which is funny, growing up I hated, even loathed it. I'm sure our paletes change as we grow up. Any how, we serve our soup with cheesy garlic bread.

Brattens Clam Chowder

2 (6 oz) cans minced or chopped clams (I prefer minced - less clam to chew)
1 cup onion, diced fine
2 cups potatoes, diced fine
1 cup celery, diced
2 tsp sugar
1 TBSP wine vinegar
¾ cup butter
½ cup flour
1 quart half and half

Drain clams and pour juice over vegetable in saucepan. Add sugar and vinegar. Add water to barely cover. Simmer over medium heat.

In a 5 quart stock pot, melt butter. Whisk in flour. Slowly add half and half. Stir constantly, until white sauce thickens. Add undrained vegetables and clams. Stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
FYI - this recipe makes about 6 quarts. I usually cut it in half. This time around, I'm going to try freezing the second half. We'll see if that works.

0 comments: