Big Soft Ginger Cookies...

Saturday, September 19, 2009


After a little thought, I've decided that I'm more of a baker than a cook. I love, love, LOVE to bake! It's very soothing to my soul. Not sure if it's the relaxing break I get while the cookies are in the oven or if it's the sweet reward of my labor. Sweets are my friend!

When I was in college, I would frequently visit Einstein Bagels for lunch. One day they had a ginger cookie with white chocolate chunks. Heaven! The bite of the ginger with the creaminess of the white chocolate was a perfect match. Although I don't have the exact recipe, I think that this one comes pretty close.


Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter,
softened
1 cup white sugar

1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses

2 tablespoons white suagr

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

***I add 1-2 cups white chocolate chunks.
***I smash cookie dough down with the bottom of a glass. Dip the glass in water and sugar before smashing.

1 comments:

Ann said...

I have always thought of ginger cookies as an old person sweet. However, I think I have joined the old people because I have a ginger spice cookie recipe that I just absolutley love. They are nice and soft. I make the cookie dough for my grandma a lot so she can bake them when company comes.