Labor Day, hip hip hooray!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

In honor of the Labor Day weekend (and thus the end of summer and BBQ's) I thought I would share one of my longest running memories, my Grandma's Baked Beans recipe. They are a sweeter bean, not so much like ham and beans, more like molasses beans. I remember having these beans every summer, with every picnic, cookout and campout we had. I love them and think they are the most delicious side dish ever! I thought this was because I had grown up on them and had aquired a taste for them, but with every new in-law brought into the brood I am proven wrong. They love them just as much! It is not uncommon for me to bring a batch of these out of the oven and the aroma starts attracting family members like flies. Soon, everyone is gathered around the dish "taste testing" the finished product by the scoopful, chatting and laughing. It is my favorite part of the day. We usually only have a half batch for the actual meal, which is okay seeing as everyone had their fill before it started anyway. I love this dish and I love the memories associated with it, hopefully you can make some of your own!

Grandma's Baked Beans

2 28 oz cans baked beans, rinsed and drained (that's right, rinse off the flavor they came canned in)
1/3 c dark molasses
3/4 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c ketchup
big squirt of mustard, but not too much

Mix ingredients, except beans in a bowl until well blended, add beans. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour, checking occasionally to stir and taste (make any adjustments as neccessary.)

Best eaten cooled and scooped with ruffled potato chips. (really, if you don't have the chips, they aren't even worth it). This recipe was never written down before I asked my mom for it, so all measurements are flexible. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Yadira said...

I made some baked beans tonite for dinner I should have checked here firts because I was looking for a recipe, I will need to try this one. I didn't have any canned beans so I used dry kidney beans and soaked them in water and then cooked them in a crockpot and then baked them and they turned out pretty good. Jen was is your last name? I am wondering here which Jen you are?

Jen said...

hey, it's Jen Ball, sorry for the confusion there! I haven't done this with dried beans, I am too lazy. :)